Are there any modifiable risk factors that make a patient more susceptible to BIA-ALCL?
- The vast majority of known involved devices have been in textured, rather than smooth, implants.
- At this time, there are no known modifiable risk factors or specific patient populations known to be at a higher risk of developing this disease.
- There is roughly an even number of aesthetic cosmetic and reconstructive breast implant patients, and both saline and silicone implants are involved with a few reported polyurethane implants.
What do I do if I have a suspected case of ALCL?
- Receive an ultrasound evaluation to confirm the presence and extent of an effusion, determine if there is presence of a mass, and evaluate regional lymph node basins for lymphadenopathy.
- Ultrasound is an acceptable screening tool for the two-thirds of patients presenting with an effusion or the one-third with a mass.